What to do, what to do? You have vegans, non-vegans, vegetarians, and the rest and you are in charge of Desert. We have a Tart that is a real crowd pleaser.
It's rich yet not heavy and oh so satisfying.
It's time to get the ingredients ready: It has Four parts, First is the tart crust, second the filling, third is the Crumble Topping, and Salted Caramel.
For the Crust:
1 cup almonds
1 cup pecans
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 Tbsp very cold Vegan butter cubed (You can place in the freezer for about 10 mins. before you start)
4 Tbsp Real Maple Syrup
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
For the Filling:
1 lb Granny Smith Apples (3-5 apples depending on the size of the apples)
3 Tbsp Coconut sugar
2 TBsp Lemon juice
1Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
1 Tbsp Nutmeg (this is optional, my family loves Nutmeg)
For the Crumble Topping:
1 1/2 Cup Rolled oats
1/4 Cups all-purpose flour
6 Tbsp Cold Vegan Butter, cubed
1/2 Tbsp Cinnamon
1/2 Tbsp Nutmeg (optional)
1/4 Tsp All-spice
1/2 Tsp grounded Ginger
For the Caramel:
1 cup Coconut sugar
1/4 Cup Non-Dairy Milk (We used as high a fat content as we could find to make a richer caramel)
3 Tbspn Vegan Butter
1/4 - 1/2 Tsp Kosher salt (It's up to you, do you want a hint of salt or a little more)
The first thing we are doing is making the crust. Get your food processor and a 9 1/2 inch pie pan. We used a Corningware one. Pre-heat the oven to 350 Degrees.
1. In the processor, we will add both the pecans and almonds and pulse for 5-10 seconds until mostly fine.
2. Add the all-purpose flour, get the vegan butter out of the freezer (cubed), maple syrup and salt. Now blend, it needs to stick together when to pick up a little bit. If it doesn't then add a little more maple syrup very, very slowly.
3. Spray the pie pan with spray. Now press the mixture into the pan evenly. Press up the sides too. Poke a few holes to let air escape. Set timer to 8-10 mins. (all ovens are different, at the end keep an eye on it) Look for a slight color change. Set it aside to cool down)
4. It's time for the filling Get a cutting board, sharp knife and set cutting. We love the skin but this is up to you. We cut the apples in half and use a melon baller to remove the core and seeds. Slice the apples thin. Place in a mixing bowl and add the remaining filling ingredients. Let in marinate for about 20 minutes.
5. If there is a lot of juice in the mixture, drain it. Place the apple slices in the cooled crust. It is best to do by hand to avoid excess liquid.
6. It's crumble topping making time. Get a medium mixing bowl and all the ingredients into the bowl. Mix by hand. It's done when combining into a single ball. Now crumble it over the sliced apple evenly.
7. Cook at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
8. Get a small sauce pan. Combined Coconut Sugar, Non-dairy milk, vegan butter, and kosher salt together over medium heat. Wisk as the mixture is heating for about 7-12 minutes as it starts to thicken and bubble. When the mixture is to your liking (thick enough). Drizzle over the cooked tart.
9. Serve with a scoop of vegan ice cream which will put a smile on everyone's faces.
Reagan Tracy, a college student who loves to bake. Sharing her love through healthy sweets.
The Lovely Reagan is wearing a Criss-Cross Lattice top Click here
Mesh cross capri leggings Click Here